Forums

Full Version: Gim's SD paint work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, so these are the first ships I've painted for SD.
I've been trying to get them to match my Gates of Antares army colours (for the most part) so my wife, lad and I can have linked games between space and ground combat.

So far, I'm trialling 3 ships for each faction I own to see how they come out. The Isorian's are still on the paint table.
I aim to paint a mini fast with quick techniques, so don't expect and hand drawn logos or fantastic brush work. Inking and Drybrushing are a speed painters friend. :-)

Algoryn Ships:
[Image: SD%20Algoryn_zpsrhpvt8yb.jpg]

With troop shown for colour matching:
[Image: SD%20Algoryn%20and%20Troop_zpsqgwgk5rm.jpg]

Concord:
[Image: SD%20Concord_zpss6gbv7ao.jpg]

With troop and drone shown for colour matching:
[Image: SD%20Concord%20and%20Troop_zpstnkf7kxx.jpg]

Ghar:

[Image: SD%20Ghar_zps8llnkbkp.jpg]

With battlesuit to show colour matching
[Image: SD%20Ghar%20and%20Troop_zps6sunruu5.jpg]

That's it for now.

PS: The other paint blog is in this forum section, so I've added mine here too, if it should be in "Your Works" section, please (admin) feel free to move it.
You, Sir, are one fierce painter! May I borrow a few for our FaceBook page? Just sharp as razors, the lot of 'em!
(03-15-2018, 06:12 PM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: [ -> ]You, Sir, are one fierce painter! May I borrow a few for our FaceBook page? Just sharp as razors, the lot of 'em!

You're more than welcome to use them.
When I get a few more done I'll see if I can get some decent light on them and use something other than a 4 year old mobile phone for the photo. Was kinda rushing.

When we have our first game, we'll post photos. I'm currently waiting for the postie to deliver some mini flying stands for torpedoes. I just know my sausage fingers will knock everything over trying to pick them up off the table without a stand to grab.
(03-15-2018, 07:56 PM)Gimgamgoo Wrote: [ -> ]You're more than welcome to use them.
When I get a few more done I'll see if I can get some decent light on them and use something other than a 4 year old mobile phone for the photo. Was kinda rushing.

When we have our first game, we'll post photos. I'm currently waiting for the postie to deliver some mini flying stands for torpedoes. I just know my sausage fingers will knock everything over trying to pick them up off the table without a stand to grab.

Excellent. Thank you, and looking forward to your future photographic chronicles of derring-do in hard vacuum!  Cool
Update... I've been painting a few ships this Easter weekend.
Although I only have an old (really old) camera and a couple of table lights, so apologies for the poor photos, and the thing I notice the most, the poor colour representation - I sooooo need a decent set up.

Anyway, To link in with my games of 'Beyond the Gates of Antares', firstly are the Algoryn.
In my SD Universe, these will be my Espan.

Conestoga
[Image: CIMG2648_zpsjjcfqfdt.jpg]

Conestoga and 2 Teal Hawks
[Image: CIMG2647_zpspxifdggx.jpg]

2 Teal Hawks
[Image: CIMG2649_zpsiipeb1wl.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2651_zpsx2qmb6uj.jpg]

3 Pit Vipers

[Image: CIMG2654_zpsvap3k5cc.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2655_zpsr0gf1wqt.jpg]

3 Blizzards

[Image: CIMG2657_zpsly8ogdpb.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2659_zpsmjxthokb.jpg]

The Whole Espan (Algoryn) Force (so far)

[Image: CIMG2663_zpsipp2uiht.jpg]

I've split the posts up for my forces...
Still linking in with my games of 'Beyond the Gates of Antares', these are the Ghar
In my SD Universe, these will be House Colos

Drakkar
[Image: CIMG2667_zpsbybladql.jpg]

2 Night Hawks
[Image: CIMG2668_zpsiseaxawh.jpg]

Drakkar and 2 Night Hawks
[Image: CIMG2675_zpsgwpvwooz.jpg]

2 Kosmos Ships
[Image: CIMG2677_zpstphfpqtq.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2678_zpsshytz4rd.jpg]

4 Spirit Riders
[Image: CIMG2679_zpsrlahso6h.jpg]

The Whole House Colos (Ghar) Force (so far)
[Image: CIMG2682_zpsa9v40puw.jpg]

Still linking in with my games of 'Beyond the Gates of Antares', these are the Concord
In my SD Universe, these will be the Kashmere Commonwealth.

Predator
[Image: CIMG2686_zps2hvfycq9.jpg]

2 Salamanders
[Image: CIMG2689_zpsswrxm9xy.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2690_zps5yopudj9.jpg]

2 Hell Benders
[Image: CIMG2691_zpsdlkptl8u.jpg]

3 Thunder Birds
[Image: CIMG2698_zpsompzn1ux.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2699_zpslcjx8m6d.jpg]

The Whole Kashmere Commonwealth (Concord) Force (so far)
[Image: CIMG2703_zpseu0zzoc4.jpg]

For my games of 'Beyond the Gates of Antares', these are the Isorian.
In my SD Universe, these will be the Unkulunkulu.
The Star Raven needs some decals I'm waiting for to spruce up those long front sections.

Star Raven
[Image: CIMG2705_zps5esk9k2j.jpg]

2 Lance Electra
[Image: CIMG2709_zpslqne3dta.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2710_zpsokjf8kta.jpg]

Talon (1 of 2 painted)
[Image: CIMG2716_zpswwsbg19y.jpg]

4 Darts
[Image: CIMG2718_zps95xeoeb7.jpg]

The Whole Unkulunkulu (Isorian) Force (so far)
[Image: CIMG2720_zpsgd94ttlu.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2721_zps9bbimrmj.jpg]

I've also decided to collect a couple of dedicated SD forces. Sunrunners and Night Brood. Although I've only just put an order in for the webstore for the figures, I'v e trialled a paint job for first Sunrunner Blizzard.

I decided that although they were Mercenaries, and were also busy fighting the grubs, their ships were fighting a lot and were going to be a little beaten up looking.
This was my first trial of the paint job. I tried a free hand black circle with the 4 strokes of sunlight coming out, but the orange barely shows on the yellow in the photos.

Trial paint scheme for a battered Sunrunner Blizzard
[Image: CIMG2723_zpstcuza0d9.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2724_zps4hsut6px.jpg]

[Image: CIMG2725_zpsuusmqb6p.jpg]

Also below are some of the Asteroids I've been painting. The first batch were cast from a white plaster for X-Wing by a company I found selling them on eBay. Although they've painted up nicely, they are very heavy.
[Image: CIMG2726_zpswra71tsx.jpg]

The second, less impressive batch, I made from some 2 different sizes of polystyrene craft balls, sprayed with Black car paint (to purposefully melt them). I had made some in the past from chunks of polystyrene but I based these onto some X-Wing templates. These ones turned out less well as the 'hexes' of polystyrene the balls were made of were really large and still visibile. The advantage, they weight virtually nothing.
[Image: CIMG2729_zpsmo6zptks.jpg]

Finally, I decided to make a 'Black Hole'. I used a gloss black paint, then a couple of layers of the two tone metallic paints from Green Stuff world. As you turn it, the purple shines to blue, but overall, it has a black look. It'll make some interesting games.
[Image: CIMG2731_zpszhk85ove.jpg]

Till I paint some more.

PS: It would appear, even though I posted in 5 posts, the forum has joined them all together anyway.
Sorry if it's an overload (and I pray Photobucket still shows them)

Oh. The forum merged my 5 posts together and now I can;t edit it, as it says I have too many photos uploaded...

Anyway, I forgot to add, that the job that seemed to take longest, was getting all the torpedoes superglued onto smaller flying bases. They're way easier now for an old sausage fingered fella like me to pick up. Multiple torpedoes also fit nicely with a ship in a 1.5 inch hex too.

[Image: CIMG2733_zpsyvtvshx5.jpg]
Wow. That and OOOOOOOH!!! AAAAAAAAAAHH!!!! Big Grin

I'll have rather more to say later once I claw my way out from under today's ugly-as-sin caseload...  Tongue
Impressive brushwork, impressive right down to the individually based torpedo markers. I must say you've a very sharp, very clean finish to your ships, one that really brings out the details on the minis. Each group has a nice, unified look to it. And that Sunrunner Blizzard looks fantastic. The weathering is frankly perfect, like an old car left out too long in the elements, yet the silly thing still runs.

The only problem is that that Predator is a House Colos exclusive. Of course, that doesn't mean that the local Kashmeri squadron's enterprising supply sergeant didn't "acquire" one via dubious low friends in low places... Dodgy Big Grin

"Sergeant Patel, have you lost your damn mind?! Where did you get that demonic Colosian thing? Do you know what kind of trouble this could bring down on us?!"

"Do not worry, Captain! it's perfect for scouting missions into Colosian territory, and I got it for a very-very good price! The seller even threw in a whole case of the very best vindaloo sauce for the mess hall! I tell you, having this ship is a very good idea, and I've already set the maintenance crew to filing off all of the serial numbers! She'll be ready to use in no time!"
Thanks for the comments. I forgot to say, the predator will be replaced by a Karttikeya I've ordered when I use that force as a real Kashmere force. For the time being, it looked like it fitted nice with the 'Concord' faction I was using.

I figure when we play, we'll try to stick to only 3 (maybe 4) different types of ships each in a game, otherwise you'd end up overloaded with ship stat panels.
At the moment, we printed them in card, laminated them and use fine sharpies on them (cleaning them off after the game with a drop of propyl-alcohol and a cotton ball). Works perfectly.

I've been reading through my Night Brood and Sunrunners books, wondering what to use as ink markers and flak markers. I was hoping to just get some 1.5" thin mdf hexes and paint them up, but everyone this side of the Atlantic seems to cut mdf hexes in units of 5mm. Maybe 'I'll just print off something in card.

I'm currently working on some satellites I've built out of bits, so I'll post when they're done. I'm trying to keep the paint schemes on them 'faction free' so they can be used by anyone.
Well, I finally got round to a new DSLR camera.  I've never had one before, so I have a massive learning curve ahead. I know I need a better lighting set up, but I think I've about mastered getting the ships in full focus, so both front and back of the mini are in focus at the same time.

The only problem with getting a new shiney camera, is that it takes pictures that really do show up the fact that I'm an old half-blind sausage-fingered shakey-handed painter. The advantage of bad eyesight though is that the minis look beautiful on the table top.

Here's the Sunrunners I've been working on. All looking like they've had a few battles too many.

Single Thunder Bird front and back first of all...

[Image: Img_0003_zpsj2onqvru.jpg]

[Image: Img_0004_zpshaeztxwz.jpg]

Then the 2 I've done together.

[Image: Img_0006_zpskhz8kbxg.jpg]

The force so far (got a Catastrophe, 2 Havoks and 2 Avengers coming from the webstore to add to these soon)

[Image: Img_0008_zpsxkzsf6g9.jpg]

And these are the type of things I'm using for satellites.
On the Left, an Atlatl (missile launcher on it) and on the right, a Taurus with torp launcher and a meld laser. Sunrunner flying between them for scale.

[Image: Img_0010_zps7qo8ln8t.jpg]

And on the paint table next are a few additions for my Espan (Antares: Algoryn) force.
Back to painting red :-)

EDIT: Hmmm... despite shrinking the new photos to 1600 width as I did the others, they're not showing up correctly on the forum.
Have you been flying without a space helmet? These are outstanding! And the photos are showing up just fine. I think you've done the Sunrunner's look a real step up to the next level, very gritty and worn as a wandering mercenary force's ships should look! 

The photos look just fine BTW. And where did you get those satellites? Are they another company's drones? They look really nice, and have a good level of surface details. C'mon now. Share! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2