Forums
Missiles/Tokens - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.silent-death.mx/forum)
+-- Forum: Gamer's Corner (https://www.silent-death.mx/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Shopper's Guide (https://www.silent-death.mx/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Missiles/Tokens (/showthread.php?tid=68)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Missiles/Tokens - Stogie - 09-19-2018

(09-19-2018, 12:15 AM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: What I really do like is how you've made the Warhound class torpedoes look more like Cold War anti-shipping missiles than the Mk.10-50 fighter swatting variety... very cool.

Thank you. I got the idea to vary the images from HAL's counters. Missiles are harder to see, but differ as well. Thoughts on making a larger image and putting "5 Missiles" and"10 Missiles".

RE: Missiles/Tokens - Karelian Suomi - 09-20-2018

(09-19-2018, 11:34 PM)Stogie Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 12:15 AM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: What I really do like is how you've made the Warhound class torpedoes look more like Cold War anti-shipping missiles than the Mk.10-50 fighter swatting variety... very cool.

Thank you. I got the idea to vary the images from HAL's counters. Missiles are harder to see, but differ as well. Thoughts on making a larger image and putting "5 Missiles" and"10 Missiles".

Yes. That would be very handy IMHO.

RE: Missiles/Tokens - Stogie - 09-25-2018

Updated missile displays.

RE: Missiles/Tokens - Karelian Suomi - 09-25-2018

(09-25-2018, 01:02 AM)Stogie Wrote: Updated missile displays.

RE: Missiles/Tokens - tdewitt274 - 10-16-2018

What about something like this?  Of course, they're a rough draft, the tolerances could be tighter, and the images/fonts better.  Cut on a laser cutter, wood.  Acrylic would be a nice touch!

My thought process on this was to have a generic set of Marks for the Torps and rings for the Missiles.  

So, for example, you place the inner portion of the Missiles and add a ring color coordinated for the person that you're attacking.  For Torps, you place the Mark # and then color coordinate insert for the target.

Thoughts?

RE: Missiles/Tokens - Karelian Suomi - 10-16-2018

(10-16-2018, 03:11 AM)tdewitt274 Wrote: What about something like this?  Of course, they're a rough draft, the tolerances could be tighter, and the images/fonts better.  Cut on a laser cutter, wood.  Acrylic would be a nice touch!

My thought process on this was to have a generic set of Marks for the Torps and rings for the Missiles.  

So, for example, you place the inner portion of the Missiles and add a ring color coordinated for the person that you're attacking.  For Torps, you place the Mark # and then color coordinate insert for the target.

Thoughts?

An interesting idea. Have you put it to the test yet in actual game play?

RE: Missiles/Tokens - tdewitt274 - 10-16-2018

(10-16-2018, 08:44 AM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: An interesting idea. Have you put it to the test yet in actual game play?

Sadly, no. Not much Silent Death action out in my neck of the woods.

They'll likely need some kind of backing because the inner sections are a little loose. While they slide well, picking them up requires 2 attempts. They're a little undersized at 0.9" to fit in a 1" hex easily.

As far as the rules, I think they could work. I'm open to suggestions on how to make them more usable.

RE: Missiles/Tokens - Karelian Suomi - 10-16-2018

(10-16-2018, 11:53 AM)tdewitt274 Wrote: Sadly, no.  Not much Silent Death action out in my neck of the woods.

They'll likely need some kind of backing because the inner sections are a little loose.  While they slide well, picking them up requires 2 attempts.  They're a little undersized at 0.9" to fit in a 1" hex easily.

As far as the rules, I think they could work.  I'm open to suggestions on how to make them more usable.

I'll need to ponder this problem. Sheldon and I specifically have always found the original plastic missile and torpedo pieces to be a bit fiddly, so we're always open to a potential solution. So far the most viable to come along have been the large sized counters that used to be produced by Red Shirt Games up in Canada, and the currently available acrylic generic markers available from Litko Aerosystems. The later are quite purdy, really, but that being said, if we come across a more economical alternative for our players's budgets... Cool

RE: Missiles/Tokens - tdewitt274 - 10-17-2018

(10-16-2018, 11:34 PM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: The later are quite purdy, really, but that being said, if we come across a more economical alternative for our players's budgets... Cool

No offense to Litko Aerosystems, they have some really nice items but their prices are kind of high. I'm still messing around with my laser cutter and considering making some items for local gamers. They're a business and I understand the pricing for that purpose.

I have a Glowforge laser cutter (base model). As an example, using the image I posted is made on MDF at $4 (not considering shipping, "proofgrade" with paper) for 12" x 20" in dimensions. Assuming a 0.992" hex, you can get 276 items for that $4 price point ($0.014 each). "Proofgrade" Acrylic is about $9.50 for the same dimensions ($0.034 each). The print time for these 3 items was about 1 minute, potentially 92 minutes (less with optimization). Granted, the laser cutter is pricey and needs to be considered, as well as labor.

As a comparison, 10 webbed tokens are $9.99. I figure it would take about the same time to cut/engrave for a total of 209 produced (max cutting area in one pass).

Just some things to consider Smile

RE: Missiles/Tokens - Karelian Suomi - 10-17-2018

(10-17-2018, 12:44 AM)tdewitt27 Wrote: I have a Glowforge laser cutter (base model).  As an example, using the image I posted is made on MDF at $4 (not considering shipping, "proofgrade" with paper) for 12" x 20" in dimensions.  Assuming a 0.992" hex, you can get 276 items for that $4 price point ($0.014 each).  "Proofgrade" Acrylic is about $9.50 for the same dimensions ($0.034 each).  The print time for these 3 items was about 1 minute, potentially 92 minutes (less with optimization).  Granted, the laser cutter is pricey and needs to be considered, as well as labor.  

As a comparison, 10 webbed tokens are $9.99.  I figure it would take about the same time to cut/engrave for a total of 209 produced (max cutting area in one pass).

Just some things to consider Smile

Oh, I'm as Scandahooligan as they come when it comes to having my fun on the cheap 'n cheerful side of things. So indeed, fire away, and let us know what you come up with. Cool