Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD Rights?

Hey there - 

I'm new here.

Only discovered this website/forum etc. after having a "nostalgic moment" one night not too long ago, thinking back to my days playing SD in highschool.
Anyway  - went online to ebay to find a BNIB (complete) box set of SD:TNM. 
I Bought it right away. It just arrived, and I'm currently digesting all the material, and remembering why I loved this game so much. The story and the history of the 'verse is so compelling.

Anyway, was pretty shocked that I.C.E had gone under, only to lose the rights to the game etc. etc. etc.

So does "Metal Express" own it now? (all expansion books available in PDF format I see in the store section).

Just curious.

Hope everyone has had a great Holiday season!

(12-28-2017, 03:05 AM)Lance Electra Wrote: Hey there - 

I'm new here.

Only discovered this website/forum etc. after having a "nostalgic moment" one night not too long ago, thinking back to my days playing SD in highschool.
Anyway  - went online to ebay to find a BNIB (complete) box set of SD:TNM. 
I Bought it right away. It just arrived, and I'm currently digesting all the material, and remembering why I loved this game so much. The story and the history of the 'verse is so compelling.

Anyway, was pretty shocked that I.C.E had gone under, only to lose the rights to the game etc. etc. etc.

So does "Metal Express" own it now? (all expansion books available in PDF format I see in the store section).

Just curious.

Hope everyone has had a great Holiday season!

Welcome back to the fold! A great find you have there, that boxed set! Alas, I.C.E. has been gone a very long time, but we are the sole entity that has been authorized to keep the game alive along with Bladestorm, and after doing so with a nil budget for a good many years, we have as of last year finally begun to make progress forward to bring the classic Metal Express game systems into the 21st century. 

Now, about your question, the answer is simple: Metal Express is the exclusive authorized agent and user of the Silent Death, Silent Death: The Next Millennium, and Bladestorm IP. Period. 

No other entity is authorized to use these intellectual properties in any manner without our expressed permission. 

Yes, several have tried to do so, and as soon as we learned of their actions, we contacted the offending parties and advised them that they were in violation of the IP as we are solely empowered to do. We will continue to do so going forward.

Metal Express solely owns the rights to the Metal Express Dice Engine, which is the core game system that Bladestorm and Silent Death utilize (and which makes each of them so much fun!). 

We will continue to defend our rights accordingly precisely as we are empowered to do.

Now, enough of this serious stuff! Welcome back to the Interstellar Flying Circus!  Big Grin
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

Sweet!

Thanks for the welcome!

Sounds like there has been a bit of attempted piracy/IP jacking over the past few years has there?

No worries, I'm not planning any rip-off games, or "clones" or any other IP infringement. I'm just super stoked to have found my favourite game again! (And check out my other post; have even found some NOS pewter miniatures!!!!)

Although to be perfectly honest - I HAD nearly completed 2 Sci-fi novels based in the Silent Death universe, years ago, when I was in highschool. I'm sure they're rubbish...but if they weren't - it certainly would be a laugh to edit them, revise them (and likely entirely re-write them) and put them out.
I guess these days you'd call them "fanfic". LOL - I'm sure they'd at least be as good as those horrible "grey" novels that were written from that vampire movie.

Did ICE or you guys, or ANYONE ever actually make good in ICE's promise of SD novels? If they did I'd love to get my hands on it/them/some.

Anyway, glad that someone is carrying the torch, even if slowly! 

Best,
LE

(12-30-2017, 07:10 AM)Lance Electra Wrote: Sweet!

Thanks for the welcome!

Sounds like there has been a bit of attempted piracy/IP jacking over the past few years has there?

No worries, I'm not planning any rip-off games, or "clones" or any other IP infringement. I'm just super stoked to have found my favourite game again! (And check out my other post; have even found some NOS pewter miniatures!!!!)

Although to be perfectly honest - I HAD nearly completed 2 Sci-fi novels based in the Silent Death universe, years ago, when I was in highschool. I'm sure they're rubbish...but if they weren't - it certainly would be a laugh to edit them, revise them (and likely entirely re-write them) and put them out.
I guess these days you'd call them "fanfic". LOL - I'm sure they'd at least be as good as those horrible "grey" novels that were written from that vampire movie.

Did ICE or you guys, or ANYONE ever actually make good in ICE's promise of SD novels? If they did I'd love to get my hands on it/them/some.

Anyway, glad that someone is carrying the torch, even if slowly! 

Best,
LE

Alas, Callsign: Lance, no novels ever emerged (and believe me, you weren't the only one with ideas for tales set in the SD:TNM universe). Now if you want to take a stab at updating and revising your original prose, feel free. We have options now we didn't have a decade ago in terms of print on demand via RPGNow, so if your updated work survives editorial review, there's no telling what mischief and mayhem we might perpetrate going forward...  Big Grin
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

That's a bummer. I had a look around, I don't have any of that stuff anymore. (even on my OLDEST hard-drive, which actually even still has my horrible band demos from 1994/5!! (I digitized them as low quality mp3s...ouch) lol.

If I get the writing bug...which I just might...I'll be sure to get in touch via PM regarding "moving forward". 
There are SOOOO many awesome avenues, as you say, with self-publishing and print on demand services these days that it could be entirely possible to actually release something to the masses.

Food for though, certainly!

So I'm not a 'Crackbook' user (Facebook) but I did have a look recently. Did I miss something about the new version of the SD rules? Saw something about an announcement coming then something about SPAM, then zip.

I'm not poking the bear, just asking. And also asking on this thread because I understand having a day job, bills, a family and staff to manage ect. 

I have a question and a request.

Has there ever been any consideration about allowing fans to share content created material on or in an open forum like here? If its fan submitted material (obviously for free) then you can decide what is and is not shared, or what is and what is not canonized or optional.
All good things come to those who wait...
And when your tired of that there is always another way 

Ok I may have to dust off the proposal I made to I.C.E back in the day for a novel for SD....Humm...this could be interesting. Smile

(12-01-2018, 02:53 AM)caeaston Wrote: So I'm not a 'Crackbook' user (Facebook) but I did have a look recently. Did I miss something about the new version of the SD rules? Saw something about an announcement coming then something about SPAM, then zip.

I'm not poking the bear, just asking. And also asking on this thread because I understand having a day job, bills, a family and staff to manage ect. 

I have a question and a request.

Has there ever been any consideration about allowing fans to share content created material on or in an open forum like here? If its fan submitted material (obviously for free) then you can decide what is and is not shared, or what is and what is not canonized or optional.

THAT is a good question, and is indeed a topic for further discussion between the team and I. We are definitely open to such fan-generated shenanigans. After all, that is what led Sheldon and I to team up and pen the Fighter Tactics Manual in teh first place... Tongue

- Ming the Merciless

(12-01-2018, 08:20 PM)Ghostrider Wrote: Ok I may have to dust off the proposal I made to I.C.E back in the day for a novel for SD....Humm...this could be interesting. Smile

PM me. I want to know more about your nefarious literary scheme... Big Grin

- Ming the Merciless

(12-01-2018, 08:23 PM)Karelian Suomi Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 08:20 PM)Ghostrider Wrote: Ok I may have to dust off the proposal I made to I.C.E back in the day for a novel for SD....Humm...this could be interesting. Smile

PM me. I want to know more about your nefarious literary scheme... Big Grin

Ok I tried sending you a PM got a 502 gateway error message I will try again and see if I can get the message through to you.

never mind my last transmission I go the message through to you Smile