Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gamematz Pro Matz review

As promised here's an update on my map purchase with a few pictures.

There were a lot of nice and colorful designs to choose from, but since this was the first map for me, I opted for a 6'x4' eclectic star field as my first go to map to order.

There's a $3.00 USD surcharge for a custom hex or grid overlay.

Shipping was free for me (within "48 adjoining U.S. States" & $99.00 purchase) at the time I ordered. They do not ship internationally at the time I ordered. I was also offered a 15% off coupon, which dropped the order below the free shipping limit, so I added a set of dice and I was set.

Email communication was excellent, they provided me with a proof to check out and I had them flip the grain on the hexes, they sent a new proof and bingo! A tracking number was sent within the next few days. And not long after that- she arrived:

[Image: szYDyQQ.jpg]

The edge retained a slight curl that went away after a quick counter-curl and brief rest of about a minute.

[Image: 2R3oJPY.jpg]

The backing rubber has a firm, dense feel with excellent grip and unlike a floppy neoprene, has a more of stiff feel to it. The map easily stands up under its own material strength when rolled up without even a hint of a buckle. It just comes off as a  durable mat. That's the feature I would say is its most unique immediate takeaway.

[Image: nlVCksR.jpg]

I was curious as to what the manufacturer meant exactly by 'felt like' surface. That really is the best way to describe it though.

[Image: 5npJeOs.jpg]

Here's a pic of the logo: Small and unobtrusive. The hex grid itself is also subtle. The flash of my camera makes it stand out a tad bit more than it seems when looking at it.

I had a bag from a lawn chair that works perfectly to sling it over the shoulder with...

[Image: b3Vv4e4.jpg] 
I'm very pleased with this brand hex mat and will probably snag another with some nebula colors within the next year.

I hope you found the review helpful and informative. Any other questions just ask. Disclosure: I was not approached by anyone, asked to review, offered compensation, or anything of the sort for this write-up. This is a voluntary review.  If you decide to purchase through Gamematz, using my referral code http://rwrd.io/qsqzvty will earn me some points/cash off towards my next purchase, so there's that... but I really just wanted to offer some insight since few manufacturers/reviewers show what their mats look like with a grid printed on them.

Gamematz website: http://www.gamematz.com/
"Make the spaceships rounder but more square!"

I can't change this sig. until I paint a longboat & post pics.
Mission Accomplished: 1/3/23

I looked into these guys...
my problems with them are:

1) Everything is in U.S. prices so automatically I pay about 30% MORE because I live in CAN. Our dollar is about 30% less than US. (5 year average)

2) They charge FAR FAR FAR FAR too much for shipping.
The "Pro" matt was expensive in the first place, but then they wanted $70 to ship to Canada!!!! That's just ridiculous!

3) contacted them about my concerns and they basically told me to go fly a kite!

So no, they won't be getting my business.

(01-16-2018, 11:05 AM)Lance Electra Wrote: I looked into these guys...
my problems with them are:

1) Everything is in U.S. prices so automatically I pay about 30% MORE because I live in CAN. Our dollar is about 30% less than US. (5 year average)

2) They charge FAR FAR FAR FAR too much for shipping.
The "Pro" matt was expensive in the first place, but then they wanted $70 to ship to Canada!!!! That's just ridiculous!

3) contacted them about my concerns and they basically told me to go fly a kite!

So no, they won't be getting my business.

<sigh> I feel your pain on this, but unfortunately, shipping costs have become ridiculous in many cases. That being said, have you investigated EBay? Here's what I found after a quick search of Ebay Canada:

Game mat via EBay Canada

And Another....
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

Cool find for sure!

I ended up just going to my local game shop and I bought a generic hex matt, for 1/4 the price that the gamematz guys wanted, and I didn't have to pay shipping PLUS I supported a local business....So it's a win all around!

(01-17-2018, 03:11 AM)Lance Electra Wrote: Cool find for sure!

I ended up just going to my local game shop and I bought a generic hex matt, for 1/4 the price that the gamematz guys wanted, and I didn't have to pay shipping PLUS I supported a local business....So it's a win all around!

Yup. Supporting the FLGS is definitely a win in my book, and if you do so and save money at the same time (which you can splurge on other useful goodies!), then all the better...  Big Grin
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless