Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood Hawk (Mk. III and higher are custom)

Silent Death Blood Hawk Fighter
Drive: 19
Def. Value: 15
Dmg. Red: 2
Decoys: 2
PD: 1-4(2)
Dmg. Con: 1-4
Hit Boxes: 20
BPV: 41
Tons: 160
x1 Plazgun (F)

Blood Hawk II
Same as above, but replace Plazgun with: x2 PlexarGuns (F)
BPV: 39

Medium Single-Person Fighter (by Construction Rules)
Tons: 200
Slots: 18
Hit Boxes: 20
Drive: 19 (12-9)
Def. Value: 15 (9-6)
Dmg. Red: 2 (2-4)
Decoys: 2 (1-1)
PD: 1-4(2) (4-2)
Dmg. Con: 1-4 (3-1)
1 Plazgun(F) (10-10)
Total BPV: 41
Total Slots: 33
33 Slots is x1.83 the maximum number of Slots the Hull is supposed to have.

I have an idea on how to make the original fighters that weren't made with the construction system more closely match it. My idea would result in their BPV going up. Possibly by a lot. But the record sheet itself wouldn't need to be completely redone, just the BPV edited. For example, the Blood Hawk is supposed to be built with 18 slots, but it's built with 33. Divide the number of slots that the fighter is actually built with by the maximum number that it's supposed to be built with. The Blood Hawk gets a 1.83, use this number to multiply the BPV to get the Final Cost.
41 x1.83 = 75.03

According to the chart on page 83 (84 in the PDF), this is 14 Slots too many.
According to the chart on page 93 (94 in the PDF), this is 15 Slots too many.
Errata: The Construction Charts don't match on number of Slots.
I've started a thread in the Errata Section.

*Blood Hawk III This is just because I don't like the idea of there being a chance that its only weapon can stop working without being hit in combat.
Same as original, but replace Plazgun with: 6 Splatterguns (F).
BPV: 47

*Blood Hawk IV This is an Anti-Shipping variant.
Same as original, but replace Plazgun with: 2 Splatterguns(F), Meld Laser(F) & x6 Mk 40 Torpedoes.
BPV: 61

The next two are just to see what I could fit into a 10 slot weapon area.
*Blood Hawk V
Same as original, but replace Plazgun with: 2 Blatguns(F) & 2 Meld Lasers(F).
BPV: 43

*Blood Hawk VI
Same as original, but replace Plazgun with: Ion Ram(F), 2 Splatterguns(F) & a Missile Launcher w/20 shots(F).
BPV: 46

It is well known that the existing designs do not fit with the ship design rules: which is why the eventual aim is to rehaul both the rules and the designs. I too have noticed that the Blood Hawk is the single most broken design. I would advise against fielding custom Blood Hawk refits for the sake of game balance.

The Teal Hawk is almost as broken, and it's BPV is lower than it should be by a lot.
The Teal Hawk is built with 43 slots when a Light Two-Person Fighter only has 25 and it should cost 60 BPV (50 if it only has 30 Hit Boxes instead of the 39 it has now).

But the only way I get to play the game is to play around with the Construction System.

I came up with a simpler solution than what I typed up in my first post.
All Single-Person and Light Two-Person Spacecraft Templates get their Slots Doubled.
I'm reasonably sure, but need to verify that this would make all official designs in those sizes actually fit the rules. Their BPVs would still need to be verified.

(01-10-2017, 10:27 PM)Brother Jim Wrote: The Teal Hawk is almost as broken, and it's BPV is lower than it should be by a lot.
The Teal Hawk is built with 43 slots when a Light Two-Person Fighter only has 25 and it should cost 60 BPV (50 if it only has 30 Hit Boxes instead of the 39 it has now).

But the only way I get to play the game is to play around with the Construction System.

I came up with a simpler solution than what I typed up in my first post.
All Single-Person and Light Two-Person Spacecraft Templates get their Slots Doubled.
I'm reasonably sure, but need to verify that this would make all official designs in those sizes actually fit the rules. Their BPVs would still need to be verified.

Jim,

ever tried playing solo using Data Sphere AI craft as your opponents? Gamma Brood will be another option as well, as Gamma swarms operate along a narrow series of reactive parameters...  Cool
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

(01-09-2017, 02:30 PM)McKenzie Wrote: It is well known that the existing designs do not fit with the ship design rules: which is why the eventual aim is to rehaul both the rules and the designs. I too have noticed that the Blood Hawk is the single most broken design. I would advise against fielding custom Blood Hawk refits for the sake of game balance.

FYI: IIRC my publication chronology, Espan Rebellion was published before the SD:TNM Core Rulebook, so the Blood Hawk predates the first coherent design system.
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

Just a thought, could we rationalize the slots that are actually used on some ships, into what the tonnage is? For example, the Shryak Shuttle is listed as 275 tons. What is the closest approximation of slots the ship should have based on tonnage? This way, while book designs may not line up exactly with the templates, we get some variations that are unique while still being legit. Whatever is done would have to be for new book design only. Thoughts?
Stogie

The problems I had trying to reverse engineer the Shryack Shuttle is it doesn't weigh enough (Shuttle Template is 400 Tons and the Shryack is only 275). It has a Drive of 8, but the slowest the Template allows is 10.

And that's where I said some bad words and just skipped it...this was made easier as I don't like the way it looks.

Can't blame you. I got a pair on store credit when I was doing paint jobs. I wanted every fig. Maybe that one needs major re-vamp, but the point I wanted to make is to figure out a method to permit odd tonnages.
Stogie