27 hits

-16-T14--12TC10T-8AW6TC4T-2T--X

BPV 47

A beefed up Thunderbird but at a price!

Suggested Crit list:

2 – Ktank, good investment
3 – Torp Jettison, lose 1D4 torps or lose 1D6 missiles
4 – Electronic Warfare damaged, cannot jam torps and reduce DV by 3
5 – Throttle Jam, full speed ahead only!
6 – Shields Damaged, -3 DV
7 – Targeter hit, -2 to hit (both cannon fire and missile locks)
8 – Drive Splutter, moves forward only by D8
9 – Evade Thrusters hit, -3 DV
10 – Manoeuvre thrusters damaged no tight turns, turns cost 1 extra
11 – Pilot dazed – no movement next turn DV5 Quack
12 – Ka-Boom blasted apart!

Interesting design.

(06-30-2018, 03:42 PM)Ghostrider Wrote: Interesting design.

Feel free to give it a spin.  What do you find interesting about it?

When I can get my old xp machine working again I have some pdfs on the designs.

From a Tweety Bird to a raging Piranhakeet...
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

Well I like the Thunderbird anyway so this I could being a used along side of the standard Thunderbird's. Drive and DV of 16 each I like. Not so sure about the DR of 1 but then again looking at the design flaws I can see a DR of 1. Would have liked a DR of 2 but hey wishful thinking... Big Grin

(08-04-2018, 01:27 PM)Ghostrider Wrote: Well I like the Thunderbird anyway so this I could being a used  along side of the standard Thunderbird's. Drive and DV of 16 each I like. Not so sure about the DR of 1 but then again looking at the design flaws I can see a DR of 1. Would have liked a DR of 2 but hey wishful thinking... Big Grin

Every design is a trade-off, really. It's all a matter of mission and taste, and I am a fan of the humble "Tweetybird" despite its relative fragility, as that full torp salvo and the combination of speed, Defensive Value, and the accuracy of the Quad Pulselaser battery means the "Tweety" is idea for Fire and Maneuver tactics when running in numbers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

(08-04-2018, 01:27 PM)Ghostrider Wrote: Well I like the Thunderbird anyway so this I could being a used  along side of the standard Thunderbird's. Drive and DV of 16 each I like. Not so sure about the DR of 1 but then again looking at the design flaws I can see a DR of 1. Would have liked a DR of 2 but hey wishful thinking... Big Grin

I enjoy flying my own house creations.  I know their limits.  The Crossbow was supposed to be a strike fighter with a punch.  If you are using VS Torps (I prefer) then the kill range is reduced from 18 for a MK10 to 14 to a MK30.  

The next problem I faced was the triangle of: Fire power vs, Speed vs, Durability.   Ok my mission brief was a strike fighter.  It needs speed a punch and durability.  Speed was sorted at 16 (fairly pokey for a big 300t bird), next was the punch which came in the disguise of 7 mkd30s (that ought to scare 'em a bit), the durability which was forsaken for the high DV over DR, damage boxes, PD and even a lowish DC.

Did it full fill the mission brief - yes.  It is a glorified attrition fighter after the payload is released.

Grinding the price down compared to the original ships.  The originals were built outside of the build system.   The T'bird is 35pts all in with VS Torps, where as the Crossbow VS upgrade costs an additional 11pts.  Therefore, all in a T'Bird may come in at less than 40pts per ship but the Crossbow will be under 70pts.  Lacking a PD you may wish to have a higher pilot and also a semi decent gunnery to keep the pesky attrition fighters away.

Like any build system and pilot training the Crossbow requires a trained pilot where as the T'bird can get away with a rookie.  Those are the breaks.  However when it comes to delivery of a strike vessel you are paying for 7 Mk 30s over 4 MK 10s and a MK 20.  Possibly to get this kind of delivery the T'birds may have to at least double up to get a similar impact.

There is also the larger cousin the 'Archer' a gunboat armed with 30 MK30s.