Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any fan-rated Starblazer fighters?

I picked up the cool Mecha Colle Starblazer/Space Battleship Yamato fighters last year and have been collection potential opponents from Shapeways (and one F-Toys Viggen in gaudy colours) to rate up as pirates until someone comes out with proper opponents in the same scale.

Anyway, just yesterday I committed to running them using Silent Death at a small games con in six weeks, so now I have some painting and some rating to do!  I passed on doing my SD Star Wars game as a massive X-Wing tourney is running the next day at the con.

Anyone ever rated the Cosmo Tigers (I, II, two and three-person crews), Cosmo Zero, and Black Tiger?  I have some stats from the fleet game rules and source books, but was curious as to what speed and other ratings people used as their baselines.

Thanks,
Chris

(08-15-2017, 06:05 PM)Boywundyrx Wrote: Anyone ever rated the Cosmo Tigers (I, II, two and three-person crews), Cosmo Zero, and Black Tiger?  I have some stats from the fleet game rules and source books, but was curious as to what speed and other ratings people used as their baselines.

Thanks,
Chris

I'm just shooting from the hip here, but 15-16 baseline sounds about right- they look pretty sleek and fast. That puts them in line with Salamanders & Night Hawks while leaving a bit of room for faster craft in the 17-19 range.

I couldn't find any hard specs online to compare them to each other in the sections detailing their engines so your sourcebook is probably your best resource until more material is released. Does the

Going off their armament to compare to SD Designs:
  • Cosmo Zero feels like it would compare to the Kosmos or Iklwa SPACs (2 small weapon systems each) and they have 17 drives.
  • Cosmo Falcon, with its 6 cannons could compare with a Night Hawk and it's 6 Splattergun mount, so a 15 drive would work.
I can't find enough info on Tigers or Black Tigers to know how they compare to the Zero. Are they known to be faster than the Zero? better armed? More hull armor? The limited resources I (can't) find don't indicate. Are the fleet game rules granular enough to differentiate between fighter speeds?

But as I said- I'm not familiar enough with the franchise to even parse the different eras. Karelian Suomi might check in and undoubtedly have some good insight if my advice is off the mark.

(08-15-2017, 06:05 PM)Boywundyrx Wrote: been collection potential opponents from Shapeways

I saw a couple of cargo haulers from Shapeways I like. The smaller of the two would make a fine Borax Freigher methinks- but I have a good backlog of SD ships to paint, so freighters and tinders are on the back burner pending the release of the revised campaign rules.

Good luck with your con game- I'll let the chief cook and bottle washer remind you to take pics, but... Take Pics!!
"Make the spaceships rounder but more square!"

I can't change this sig. until I paint a longboat & post pics.
Mission Accomplished: 1/3/23

(08-16-2017, 02:26 AM)Karpav1 Wrote: [quote pid='122' dateline='1502820345']
Good luck with your con game- I'll let the chief cook and bottle washer remind you to take pics, but... Take Pics!!

[/quote]

Thanks Karpav, those are some helpful starting thoughts.  The Black Tiger is an older marque, so slower than the Tiger IIs and Zero.

I'll take some pics, hope to get a test game in over Labour Day, but may not have painted opponents by then.  Real game is the end of September.

Thanks again,
Chris