Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gim's SD paint work

(04-10-2018, 07:51 PM)Gimgamgoo Wrote: [Image: Img_0003_zpsj2onqvru.jpg]

[Image: Img_0004_zpshaeztxwz.jpg]

BTW, are the wing insignia freehand or did you use and/or modify a waterslide decal?
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

I'm pretty lousy at freehand. I can just about paint a 3D model but I can't paint or draw in 2D. I decided to try and do the Sunrunner logo I saw in my Rules of Warfare II book:

[Image: sunrunnerlogo_zpsnjgyfm6q.jpg]
As I've not seen it in colour, I went for the black centre and an orange flame. In hindsight, the orange was a lousy choice as it was on a yellow background. I suppose bright red would stand out more. I didn't try for the white drawing in the circle as it would look terrible with my skills. The black circle looked perfect before I added the orange. I used a spare hex flying base and used the end that goes in the ship dipped in black paint to make a circle.

After I'd done the Blizzards, I wasn't too happy, but when the Thunder Birds were done, I was really liking the battered yellow look. I'm, looking forward to adding a few more to them soon.
Infrequent painting blog: https://gimgamgoo.com/

(04-15-2018, 03:19 PM)Gimgamgoo Wrote: I'm pretty lousy at freehand. I can just about paint a 3D model but I can't paint or draw in 2D. I decided to try and do the Sunrunner logo I saw in my Rules of Warfare II book:

[Image: sunrunnerlogo_zpsnjgyfm6q.jpg]
As I've not seen it in colour, I went for the black centre and an orange flame. In hindsight, the orange was a lousy choice as it was on a yellow background. I suppose bright red would stand out more. I didn't try for the white drawing in the circle as it would look terrible with my skills. The black circle looked perfect before I added the orange. I used a spare hex flying base and used the end that goes in the ship dipped in black paint to make a circle.

After I'd done the Blizzards, I wasn't too happy, but when the Thunder Birds were done, I was really liking the battered yellow look. I'm, looking forward to adding a few more to them soon.

I too am afflicted with an inability to draw 2D or design in 3D for that matter. I tend to cheat when it comes to insignia, and use after market and left over waterslide decals to get the job done. Luckily for me there are some affordable sources for sci-fi decals both on EBay and via HobbyLink Japan. Most are meant for Gundam mecha subjects, but there are also some "generic" items like numbers and such. 

Also, I have had some good luck with Bedlam Creations (also on EBay), and Ginfritter's Gnomish Workshop. Here's some of the later on Yamato 2199 starship models adapted as Warhounds for the Kashmere Commonwealth, with number decals from a Chinese EBay hobby supply seller:

Warhound Proxies
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

Hey Gimgamgoo- I just wanted to chime in and thank you for sharing your miniatures and complement you on your work.

Great stuff. Hope to see more soon.
"Make the spaceships rounder but more square!"

I can't change this sig. until I paint a longboat & post pics.
Mission Accomplished: 1/3/23