Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which mat to buy

I've played for a long time with a friend who had a large Silent Death kit.  That friend has moved away and I'd like to piece together my own kit for Astro Smash.  I'm in the market for a mat.  We used to play on a Geo-Hex mat, but it looks like they're not around anymore.  Monday Knight Productions has a mat that looks identical.  I'm also looking at the GamerMatz mat.  

My question is, What is the correct hex size to order.  Monday Knight Productions only has 1.5in hexes, and GamerMatz has 1in, 1.25in, 1.5in etc. hexes.  What is the official size that the mat is supposed to have for Silent Death?  I was about to order the MKP mat, but it seemed like 1.5in might have been too big.

I want to say that it is around 1.5".  Slightly bigger can actually be a good thing, as some of the figures tend to be large. I would consider the 1.75" hex size. While a slightly less game area, it gives more space to figures when the are in adjoining hexes. GameMatz provides a proof before production, so you can always adjust the size if you want smaller. Keep in mind that you can adjust the hex orientation as well. 

In lieu of measuring my gamemat and figs, which are buried in prep for a major move, I threw together the attached. Hope it helps. Print it off and compare to some of your figures.

Attached Files
.pdf   Hex Layout.pdf (Size: 380.28 KB / Downloads: 12)
Stogie

(04-29-2018, 05:45 PM)BadMrK Wrote: I've played for a long time with a friend who had a large Silent Death kit.  That friend has moved away and I'd like to piece together my own kit for Astro Smash.  I'm in the market for a mat.  We used to play on a Geo-Hex mat, but it looks like they're not around anymore.  Monday Knight Productions has a mat that looks identical.  I'm also looking at the GamerMatz mat.  

My question is, What is the correct hex size to order.  Monday Knight Productions only has 1.5in hexes, and GamerMatz has 1in, 1.25in, 1.5in etc. hexes.  What is the official size that the mat is supposed to have for Silent Death?  I was about to order the MKP mat, but it seemed like 1.5in might have been too big.

I'll second Adam's recommendations here. I too use my ancient Geo-Hex mat, and am eyeing the MKP felt mat as an alternative as the poor beastie is showing it's age (yes, alas, Geo-Hex folded quite a number of years ago, much to my great disappointment). IIRC the Geo-Hex mat is 1.5 inch hexes, as the standard flight stands fit them quite comfortably. I personally have no problem with 1.5 inch hexes, however Adam is correct that 1.75 gives extra wiggle room for accommodating larger models, but sacrificing room to maneuver. It really boils down to which are you more comfortable with?

In the Gallery there are some games-in-progress shots showing my Geo-Hex mat in use, including some missile salvo markers indicating inbounds on a Nighthawk. That should give you some additional visual perspective on the proportions.

Hope all this helps, and please do let us know here which mat you settle on, and how it shakes out in actual use. Such "intelligence" as it were is of value to pass on to the rest of the community we're growing here, so it is very much appreciated.
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

I went with the MKP.  I'll be sure to update when it comes in. Thank the both of y'all.

(05-01-2018, 01:23 PM)BadMrK Wrote: I went with the MKP.  I'll be sure to update when it comes in. Thank the both of y'all.

Our pleasure! Cool
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

You are welcome, K.

Hey, boss, maybe put the PDF on an FAQ page.
Stogie

(05-02-2018, 10:20 PM)Stogie Wrote: You are welcome, K.

Hey, boss, maybe put the PDF on an FAQ page.

Stop giving me ideas...  Big Grin

- Ming the Merciless