Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faction Relations Map

Move this to whatever section fits best. Is there a section for fan art?

Just a faction relations map I threw together if anyone is interested. I left the UNW lines off because they just branch out to everyone and add clutter, and to keep the map less jumbled, turned off the Minor House layers in this map of The Twelve.

[Image: UNBG4EO.png]

Here's the map with the minor house layers turned on: [Image: GdNTPaA.png]

Falstaff isn't represented at this time. Just something that's mixed in my desktops folder. Layout improvement suggestions or corrections are welcome.

Here's a map based on the ink one in the BRB. I just spread it out to fill the 16:9 ratio (kept the core intact since they were adjacent territories) and colored it. The original wasn't too accurate if I remember correctly, so what's a few hundred extra light years out in the frontier? Mainly decoration, but if there is any way to make it more representational and professional, that would be the ace.

[Image: WGrrmzf.png]
"Make the spaceships rounder but more square!"

I can't change this sig. until I paint a longboat & post pics.
Mission Accomplished: 1/3/23

What software are you using? We might be able to turn it into a PDF where various items are on various layers. I know I can do that with CAD that uses layers. Might be able to do it with Corel or Adobe. Never tried it, but willing to take a shot at it.
Stogie

(08-20-2017, 11:19 PM)Stogie Wrote: What software are you using? We might be able to turn it into a PDF where various items are on various layers. I know I can do that with CAD that uses layers. Might be able to do it with Corel or Adobe. Never tried it, but willing to take a shot at it.

These were done in Paint.net (limited but free). The factions maps are on layers, but in their proprietary .pdn format. Paint.net will save in .psd format with a plugin though.

The wallpaper territory map was just a one-off and I just flattened it and saved as a .png file.

I just got Krita and a Wacom tablet, so I'll probably give it another crack at some point in time. I'm wanting to start painting some brood artwork and am currently researching creature design principles/silhouettes to nail down my version of hatchling stages/builders, perhaps recreate the  sole pair of illustrations of hatchlings in Night Brood: First Contact, maybe show some brood ships being 'grown' from a nutrient pool or something. That's what I'm doing in between painting ships. Won't have any work to show for some time.

I was following the thread on the old forum that dealt with figuring out maps from older source materials, but it just kind of died off, so I don't know if there are any real proportions to stick to, or just roughly 'make it up' using the small ink illustration map as a rough guide.

I was making a visual ship guide (I always loved the scaled faction ship posters from Eve Online) and using the book art as a header for each factions typical ships roster. Since six of the main houses have yet to have books made I had to improvise some art for them as if they had books made for them too. I thought I'd share the results here. They make for decent banners I guess. I'll just dump my 2D art in this thread.

[Image: Ra6fZQj.png]

Early versions of Red Star read "House Red Star", with the house above at the same size. I decided the linguistic preference for the tribes would be to put it after. And I also have it starting to fade as the influence of their Imperial roots diminishes with time. Luches obviously mimicking communist propaganda posters. I haven't shrunk Data Sphere down yet- I liked the detail on the data cylinder and not ready to lose it at the lower resolution yet- plus their ship pool is low enough to splurge with the extra space.

Left to do are Hibernia, Tokugawa, and Unkulunkulu. I've already searched a bit for a look for Hibernia, just the obvious Irish fonts looking too dated. Something spy-ish and stylish that dovetails with the Lion motif is the end goal. The Kingsman's logo and movie cards like Spectre/Goldeneye were looked at, but still hashing out a look. The challenge with Tokugawa being the same as Hibernia/Red Star: characterize the feel without coming across too stereotypically heavy-handed.

The faction cards are one full page each and look like this:[Image: dURW1BP.png]
     House ships and refits outlined in colors. I don't have Drydock II ships on there yet so I'll have to resize the sheets- or give Colos an additional spillover sheet as theirs is packed already. I also want to make line art in Inkscape for the photographed ships in Drydock II if I get around to it. This is the kind of stuff I do when I'm waiting for ships primer to dry or need a break from painting for a few days.

At any rate, it's been a fun side project. I'm not an expert on kerning, design rules, etc. so excuse any gross errors in the technical aspects of the designs to my inexperience If there are any Typophiles here, feel free to critique- I'm always looking to improve.