Forums

Full Version: Question on the kitbashed/scratchbuilt 'big ships'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found my SD:TNM rules, and a read-through reminded me of how much fun the game is, including ship design. I also happen to have a bunch of fighters from various eras, including a bunch of Grubs, so I've been hunting down some of the hardcopies, and getting a painting break from 40K/Necromunda/Kill Team...

But getting around to the main point - the big colorful destroyers in the shop, were those based off of the Revell/Monogram 1:144 Mir kit or Heller's 1:125 kit? Not that it'd make that much of a difference, I'm just curious. I've got a couple of the Mir kits, one of the Armageddon SuperMirs, and Heller's 1:125 ISS, there's so many big ships I could make from these...
Found my SD:TNM rules, and a read-through reminded me of how much fun the game is, including ship design. I also happen to have a bunch of fighters from various eras, including a bunch of Grubs, so I've been hunting down some of the hardcopies, and getting a painting break from 40K/Necromunda/Kill Team...

But getting around to the main point - the big colorful destroyers in the shop, were those based off of the Revell/Monogram 1:144 Mir kit or Heller's 1:125 kit? Not that it'd make that much of a difference, I'm just curious. I've got a couple of the Mir kits, one of the Armageddon SuperMirs, and Heller's 1:125 ISS, there's so many big ships I could make from these...[/quote]

Welcome back! They're built using the old Revell kit. Sheldon scored a small pile of these from a liquidator quite a few years ago, and I was sitting on the two he'd gifted me, and decided it was past time to put them to good use... Cool

And that is one of the joys of Silent Death *and* the hobby in general, that of using one's imagination to enhance, expand, and/or fill in the gaps as much as your imagination will permit.

And dude, look at all those future Warhounds, bulk cruisers, and orbital platforms! You could populate a campaign with those things, ya know! Cool

Oh, and don't forget the handy lil' Soyuz that come with the Revell kits... with minimal modification they make excellent one hex tramp freighters...

[attachment=65]                               [attachment=66]
I knew I'd seen those Soyuzes (sp?) around here before! I was going to note them too, but couldn't find their posted location. Love 'em!

Agreed on the joy of kitbashing/scratchbuilding, my only problem is the continual accumulation of toys and, er, stuff in the hobby room, and garage, and attic...well, I'm told it's a problem. I'm just fine.  Tongue

I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of Warhounds to arrive from eBay, and I need to start hunting up sources of gun turrets for the big boys. Kotobukiya is nice, but a but pricey. I've got a bunch of wooden furniture buttons, fine for 'pop-up' type batteries, but I'd like to find something that looks like it gives hemispherical traversal. 

Are there examples of orbital installation models anyone's made for SD? The crazy side of me wonders if the big ones shouldn't be 7-hex monstrosities, with six exterior 'modules' and a core...that Glencoe Nuclear Space Station model is just sitting there...
I did some scratchbuilds a number of years ago. Not sure where they are anymore though. I found that electronics can offer some interesting bits.
MOSFETs can be used for turrets and cannon barrels: https://www.alliedelec.com/view/search?keyword=mosfets
Capacitors can be used for various parts such as cargo containers: https://www.alliedelec.com/view/search/?...al%20Leads
SMD or surface mount parts can provide an array of other content as well.
(09-03-2018, 05:07 PM)Stogie Wrote: [ -> ]I did some scratchbuilds a number of years ago. Not sure where they are anymore though. I found that electronics can offer some interesting bits.
MOSFETs can be used for turrets and cannon barrels: https://www.alliedelec.com/view/search?keyword=mosfets
Capacitors can be used for various parts such as cargo containers: https://www.alliedelec.com/view/search/?...al%20Leads
SMD or surface mount parts can provide an array of other content as well.

Yup. Good source of bits, electronics! Whenever I salvage a dead computer mouse, the first thing I do is open the bugger up and gut it, and salvage out anything within including tiny transistor components that I can use for kitbashing projects. Cool
All good advice, and appreciated - I need to paw through my multiple boxes of 'oh, I can use this!' bits and toys and...stuff.

As my copies of Warhounds, Kashmere Commonwealth, etc., are still in the mail, I thought I'd ask here: how big do commercial ships get? And when y'all are bashing the biggies, do you worry about WYSIWYG with the weapons? The detail part of me would love to come up with a 'visual language' for types of guns on the bigger ships, but I think that might be a fool's errand, and a bit more limiting than I'd like.

Now, stepping off into potential insanity...has anyone ever done 3-hex ships? For, say, cruisers? Or am I pushing the model scale vs. map scale way off the deep end?

(I've got a felt space map with 3 & 5 inch hexes, part of me wants to say, 'Eh, stack as much as you want, we'll figure it out', but I'm worried that in-hex stacking will break the game significantly.)
Commercial ships can get up to the 10,000 ton range, but the typical range is 7,000 tons.

Details can vary and really are up to the individual. Looking at what has been created in media, weapons can take on any form. Projectile weapons in some games look like WWII era battleship weapons, while Transformers Revenge of the Fallen had a railgun that featured two open tines like a tuning fork. The current design concepts for railguns by GA and others tend to be boxy looking barrels.

3+ hex ship classes have been talked about. I have some documentation in a box somewhere from the ICE days that I created, and I believe our leaders have some ideas as well.
(08-05-2019, 06:26 AM)Kamunfign Wrote: [ -> ]I do not have copies - what are the names of techniques in Ueshibas two pre-war books. Budo Renshu and  - - - cant remember the other name?

Um... come again? Confused