Forums

Full Version: Discord Channel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Merry Christmas pilots!

So with the release of Role Master Unified it has me waxing nostalgically for the days of fighter combat and new material.

As a question to the players of this fine property;

Is there any benefit of having a Discord Channel to discuss the future of Silent Death? No in a disparaging way, more in a hopeful resurgence.

New rules, new factions, new construction, new technologies...ect.

The world is moving into a digital play age and I would like to think that our current curators have a vision that they would be willing to share.
If not then this might be a great place to start?
Thoughts?
I'm always up for more discussion Caeaston. It's what keeps me focused on playing (and painting). Otherwise, it doesn't take much to pull me off in another hobby direction.

All it takes is some effort in your local area to gin up some interest. I've been lacking in that area myself, but that sicky icky bug hasn't helped... are we done yet? Virtual table play would be very nice and trivial to set up, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for now.

An OGL for Silent Death... would that promote more interest?

I'm solidly in the miniatures on the table camp anyway. Smurf is currently working up some rules simplifications and honing the grubs to a less overpowered state, give the rules a test run with some friends and join the discussion here.

I'm sure with the forums buzzing with more frequent activity there would be baseline support for a Discord channel.

Happy New Year!
(12-25-2022, 07:43 PM)caeaston Wrote: [ -> ]Merry Christmas pilots!

So with the release of Role Master Unified it has me waxing nostalgically for the days of fighter combat and new material.

Is there any benefit of having a Discord Channel to discuss the future of Silent Death? No in a disparaging way, more in a hopeful resurgence.

The world is moving into a digital play age and I would like to think that our current curators have a vision that they would be willing to share.
Thoughts?

As Karpav1 was saying I am trying to update the rules to make it simplified, get rid of extraneous rules.  Redo do the Bugs to make them play as a swarm without being too damn powerful.

You could down load rules 1.4 and give it ago and I could get some feed back to see if I am taking it in the right direction.
(12-30-2022, 10:52 AM)Smurf Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-25-2022, 07:43 PM)caeaston Wrote: [ -> ]Merry Christmas pilots!

Thoughts?

As Karpav1 was saying I am trying to update the rules to make it simplified, get rid of extraneous rules.  Redo do the Bugs to make them play as a swarm without being too damn powerful.

You could down load rules 1.4 and give it ago and I could get some feed back to see if I am taking it in the right direction.

I'd be happy too. Thank you for the offer. Stay tooned Wink

(12-29-2022, 09:07 PM)Karpav1 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm always up for more discussion Caeaston. It's what keeps me focused on playing (and painting). Otherwise, it doesn't take much to pull me off in another hobby direction.

All it takes is some effort in your local area to gin up some interest. I've been lacking in that area myself, but that sicky icky bug hasn't helped... are we done yet? Virtual table play would be very nice and trivial to set up, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for now.

An OGL for Silent Death... would that promote more interest?

I'm solidly in the miniatures on the table camp anyway. Smurf is currently working up some rules simplifications and honing the grubs to a less overpowered state, give the rules a test run with some friends and join the discussion here.

I'm sure with the forums buzzing with more frequent activity there would be baseline support for a Discord channel.

Happy New Year!

I think an OGL would help; or at he very least it wouldn't hurt. It did wonders for D&D 5E and if your familiar with what Wizards is doing with One D&D, they have implied that they may adjust the OGL which has caused a rather large uproar.

So in that sense OGL's can work their way into the cultural zeitgeist.
(12-30-2022, 08:07 PM)caeaston Wrote: [ -> ]I think an OGL would help; or at the very least it wouldn't hurt. It did wonders for D&D 5E and if you're familiar with what Wizards is doing with One D&D, they have implied that they may adjust the OGL which has caused a rather large uproar.

So in that sense, OGL's can work their way into the cultural zeitgeist.

Yeah, I've been following it closely and have watched nearly 100% of what youtube's search function offers up from Ben's Questing Beast channel, Dave Thaumavore RPG Reviews, Discourse Miniatures, and all the rest. So it's the hot tabletop topic at the moment. That's why it was at the forefront of my mind. It's done a lot of good and has helped grow the brand for sure. I've since shelved 5E for the most part, I think Rhime of the Frostmaiden was the last product I purchased. Moved on to Old School Essentials, and not looking to go back.

The D&D Online virtual tabletop in development and the microtransactions would be something I would have been tempted by years ago, not as a replacement for in-person, but as a supplement to it. I really like Foundry's tools for example. I think any tabletop game could use VTT support. It introduces new players to the game and allows established players to have a game night if they are separated by distance or the host has a family member with the flu and the game night has to be put on hold.

The possible zeitgeist we have had a glimpse of is stuff like One Page Rules,  3d printed miniatures, free jumpstart rules, and simple fast-play rules that respect the time considerations of today's players. Am I forgetting anything major? The reality though is this stuff takes a lot of passion, and capital, to bring a project into being. But then we've seen the rise of crowdfunding to mitigate these hurdles. We most recently got the Totenkoph miniature after decades of being lost. The masters were found. The current Silent Death project snaking through the pipeline is the 3:1 ships. I think I remember that being the first step in getting warhounds redone at larger scales, but maybe I'm misremembering because by far the best way to do that today would be STL files. It all sounds like a daunting amount of work to me --someone that can barely manage to paint his pew-pew-pewter ships. (I AM getting my Sigurd Longboat painted as I type this, however! HA HA!! The decals are on, I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, I just have to do some amount of refinement painting cleaning up goofs, and adjusting colors to match it to the rest of the fleet better and I'll have a new reveal posted).

Anyway, just some stuff to ponder. I'm confident some more news will turn up shortly and I'd wager it will slowly come into focus like this: 3:1 "Three-up" ship versions Kickstarter, maybe diving back into playtesting support for ironing out the Night Brood rules, which would begin with suggestions from forum members, and from there, who knows --possibly a rewritten complete rulebook advancing the timeline a bit with all the factions included with lore revisions and Space Junk terrain rules included, plus one or two campaign outlines? That's my prediction.
(12-31-2022, 02:03 PM)Karpav1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2022, 08:07 PM)caeaston Wrote: [ -> ]I think an OGL would help; or at the very least it wouldn't hurt. It did wonders for D&D 5E and if you're familiar with what Wizards is doing with One D&D, they have implied that they may adjust the OGL which has caused a rather large uproar.

So in that sense, OGL's can work their way into the cultural zeitgeist.

Yeah, I've been following it closely and have watched nearly 100% of what youtube's search function offers up from Ben's Questing Beast channel, Dave Thaumavore RPG Reviews, Discourse Miniatures, and all the rest. So it's the hot tabletop topic at the moment. That's why it was at the forefront of my mind. It's done a lot of good and has helped grow the brand for sure. I've since shelved 5E for the most part, I think Rhime of the Frostmaiden was the last product I purchased. Moved on to Old School Essentials, and not looking to go back.

The D&D Online virtual tabletop in development and the microtransactions would be something I would have been tempted by years ago, not as a replacement for in-person, but as a supplement to it. I really like Foundry's tools for example. I think any tabletop game could use VTT support. It introduces new players to the game and allows established players to have a game night if they are separated by distance or the host has a family member with the flu and the game night has to be put on hold.

The possible zeitgeist we have had a glimpse of is stuff like One Page Rules,  3d printed miniatures, free jumpstart rules, and simple fast-play rules that respect the time considerations of today's players. Am I forgetting anything major? The reality though is this stuff takes a lot of passion, and capital, to bring a project into being. But then we've seen the rise of crowdfunding to mitigate these hurdles. We most recently got the Totenkoph miniature after decades of being lost. The masters were found. The current Silent Death project snaking through the pipeline is the 3:1 ships. I think I remember that being the first step in getting warhounds redone at larger scales, but maybe I'm misremembering because by far the best way to do that today would be STL files. It all sounds like a daunting amount of work to me --someone that can barely manage to paint his pew-pew-pewter ships. (I AM getting my Sigurd Longboat painted as I type this, however! HA HA!! The decals are on, I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, I just have to do some amount of refinement painting cleaning up goofs, and adjusting colors to match it to the rest of the fleet better and I'll have a new reveal posted).

Anyway, just some stuff to ponder. I'm confident some more news will turn up shortly and I'd wager it will slowly come into focus like this: 3:1 "Three-up" ship versions Kickstarter, maybe diving back into playtesting support for ironing out the Night Brood rules, which would begin with suggestions from forum members, and from there, who knows --possibly a rewritten complete rulebook advancing the timeline a bit with all the factions included with lore revisions and Space Junk terrain rules included, plus one or two campaign outlines? That's my prediction.

Well said and I can certainly appreciate the pressure and strain that can befall companies in this climate. All I would add is to "Strike when the iron is hot".

The new ICE seems to be ridding high and is finally taking advantage of a resurgence in its fan base to shore up some of those creative areas left dormant for an age.

While fund raisers like Kickstarter are great when large amounts of capital are needed, freelance contributors can keep a property fresh and new for years.

Just a foolish dream. Thank you.
Of note though- ICE (or more precisely the group that holds that trademark today) no longer holds the rights to Silent Death. Those rights transferred out during the bankruptcy I think. But you are right, with ICE making moves, any old fans that never made the transition here, it would be favorable timing for a signal flare. Do they have a forum? Can you search for any mentions of Silent Death and let them know about this fan bunker?

Of second note: Something that came to mind the other day-- one of the takeaways of the OGL discussions (mainly one of Ben's Questing Beast videos) is that an OGL isn't really required. Standing-alone, dice mechanics are not protected under copyright, only the manner in which they are described. The OGL granted in perpetuity the ability to copy/paste the SRD into their work is my limited understanding of it. This wouldn't necessarily stop legal harassment, but according to legal experts, it wouldn't be a very productive use of the harasser's money if it were to go to court. Keep in mind I'm not a legal expert, and this is not legal advice. The obligatory "don't sue me, bro!" disclaimer.

So based on that, if someone desired to put out a game supplement compatible with a published set of rules, as long as care was taken not to infringe on actual protected areas of copyright, it could be done. I don't have the desire to independently publish such a set of rules.  I figure we can just build some updated rules compatible with Silent Death as a community, and get on with playing games. Rules tinkering, see The Wardroom and The Shipyard.

The main thing a new product would do besides generating revenue for the creator and possibly downstream if shops were to sell it retail, is to create hype, interest, and eyes on this game. If it were a new Silent Death product, I'd put it in the league of Adam Loper & Vince Venturella's Reign In Hell skirmish game --and that got some support from youtube friends of theirs. Meaning it would have its day in the sun, then fade back to the mean as the churn of the greater industry marches on.  With licensed properties like Star Wars, Trek, Galactica, & B5, and better-known properties like Gothic and Firestorm Armada's relaunched version out there, SD:TNM currently dwells in the lost forgotten classics category alongside Full-Thrust and the like. With a push towards bringing the rules up to date and offering new STL files of the ships to purchase along with the metal casts for those not wanting to print, the game has the potential to grab some attention in the indie game scene. That's if the ships were offered for purchase as STL files IMO. I don't yet have a printer or even buy much in the way of printed minis, but the perception in my mind is you would get more promotion as a bonus though going that route.  I've said all of this in slightly other ways before. I keep updating the vision to the trends of the day.

This type of wish crafting ignores the more genuine reason to release new material for our shared universe: just the desire to be creative and produce something independent of market success. My creative outlets center on painting and sometimes writing even though I'm a better painter. Much further down the line is amateur rules pitch hack. We all have been graciously provided this space to share our fan-made creativity with others. Many thanks for that. The attention and prominence the brand attract from outsiders depends partly on the effort and passion supporters put into it here on these forums and with word of mouth and games played with new players at our gaming haunts.

New Year's Challenge: Introduce a new player with a game this month. Expert mode: take pictures and post a report here. Full disclosure: I had already committed to running a game at a local event this month back in November so my contribution doesn't count.
Big Grin  Let's make it interesting... For the first seven players to complete the challenge at the expert level with a full write-up and pictures, I'll send you one of the extra sourcebooks that I've accumulated in deals over the years. The most recent addition is House Colos with what was a near-mint cover ripped off. The other books have really clean jackets -off the shelf grade.  Choice based on order posted in the Battle Reports subforum. One book per entry. The deadline is March 1st. Books up for grabs in no particular order:
  • Universal Night Watch
  • Rules of Warfare
  • Sunrunners
  • Warhounds (older printing)
  • Renegades: the Espan Rebellion
  • Renegades: the Espan Rebellion (another copy)
  • House Colos (no cover, torn and taped 1st page)
I'm not gonna make a separate post about this, but if it doesn't get any traction I'll try it again later (when the main page article changes) in Battle Reports with a dedicated post.
Good luck to anybody that sees this!