Forums
Painting Night Brood - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.silent-death.mx/forum)
+-- Forum: Miniatures and Models (https://www.silent-death.mx/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Techniques (https://www.silent-death.mx/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Painting Night Brood (/showthread.php?tid=1307)

Painting Night Brood - captskeleton - 01-06-2019

What process do you use to get the Brood pieces in your gallery looking so nice? Specifically the Larva, since some seem to have had a different process behind them.

RE: Painting Night Brood - Karelian Suomi - 01-08-2019

(01-06-2019, 01:32 AM)captskeleton Wrote: What process do you use to get the Brood pieces in your gallery looking so nice? Specifically the Larva, since some seem to have had a different process behind them.

Welcome to the Interstellar Flying Circus! My apologies for the delayed response; I can only plead being one admin/moderator/Emperor of the Known Universe with too confounded many "Night Brood incursions" over the weekend. Dodgy

Now, I assume you're referencing the Night Brood that I painted up using water based acrylic craft paints. The methodology is desperately simple, in fact. I started with a primer coating of flat black spray paint. Then I drybrushed a metallic green or metallic blue (or both) over the black primer coat. Once completely dry, I applied a wash of blue and/or green drawing ink over the model. Once this had dried I went back to the beam projection blisters and other prominent details and painted them in a bright gold color, again a water based craft paint color (Emperor's gold).

Now due to some hard knock lessons courtesy of my Significantly Better Half's coup d'oeil for visual arts and her equally unforgiving camera's eye, I have begun to move away from using acrylic craft paints for miniatures in general, but for some specific tasks such as painting Brood or painting up kitbashed terrain such as asteroids or orbital platforms they still work out very well. The bugaboo with the cheap and cheerful craft paints is that they can be very thick, and thinning them down with water doesn't always solve the problem due to the way they're formulated.

So for jobs where the details of the model aren't particularly abundant or they are such that they don't need to be picked out to the standards of a vascular microsurgeon, the craft paints can yield very good results. But otherwise I'd say that for best results proper high quality hobby paints such as Reaper or Vallejo are the best path to take. 

Hope this helps, and again, welcome on board! Big Grin

RE: Painting Night Brood - captskeleton - 05-17-2021

(01-08-2019, 07:09 AM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: Hope this helps, and again, welcome on board! Big Grin

Thank you so much for the response, I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you for so long, I briefly lost access to the email connected to the account and so I never received the notification for your reply. I really appreciate the detail of your reply and I'm looking very much forward to putting it into practice!

RE: Painting Night Brood - Karelian Suomi - 05-26-2021

(05-17-2021, 03:55 PM)captskeleton Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 07:09 AM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: Hope this helps, and again, welcome on board! Big Grin

Thank you so much for the response, I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you for so long, I briefly lost access to the email connected to the account and so I never received the notification for your reply. I really appreciate the detail of your reply and I'm looking very much forward to putting it into practice!

No problem at all! Glad I was able to help. Cool