Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got a mention in dispatches!

Apart from that I had a moment of thought that produced an idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_Co...ategy_Game

The premise was an affordable miniature game.

Now that SD has SW to contend with the flip side is to create an alternative cheap punch out ships.

A sort of starters set rather than just tokens.

Congrats on the shoutout Smurf!
"Make the spaceships rounder but more square!"

I can't change this sig. until I paint a longboat & post pics.
Mission Accomplished: 1/3/23

It's a coincidence, could it be a sign...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pirates-of-th...SwvRpapes7

(08-05-2018, 08:17 PM)Smurf Wrote: Apart from that I had a moment of thought that produced an idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_Co...ategy_Game

The premise was an affordable miniature game.

Now that SD has SW to contend with the flip side is to create an alternative cheap punch out ships.

A sort of starters set rather than just tokens.

Wait a damn minute here! You were a co-perpetrator of the Pirates CSG? Do tell... Cool
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

(08-07-2018, 08:51 PM)Smurf Wrote: It's a coincidence, could it be a sign...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pirates-of-th...SwvRpapes7

Great minds think alike:

[Image: 37667201_10156615212955746_4609155363567...e=5C0E4FF8]
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

I enjoyed playing some of the pirates games. And then SJG's Ogre has some push plastic card pieces. Then there was how to compete with the Star Wars minis which cost far too much and the quick fix was this punch card idea.

Of course there is the mini side, again I'm not nuanced enough to tell that a metal mini is cheaper than a plastic one now that the latter's technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years.

(08-08-2018, 08:24 AM)Smurf Wrote: I enjoyed playing some of the pirates games.  And then SJG's Ogre has some push plastic card pieces.  Then there was how to compete with the Star Wars minis which cost far too much and the quick fix was this punch card idea.

Of course there is the mini side, again I'm not nuanced enough to tell that a metal mini is cheaper than a plastic one now that the latter's technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years.

The challenge with plastic minis remains the same: up front tooling costs, which although cheaper than before, are still quite expensive to say the very least, and alas, are still currently beyond our present means... Confused

That said, metal has become more expensive, actually, in terms of materials costs. The up front cost is much, much less than plastics, so it's a trade-off not much changed for us small indy companies except that the cost of metal minis has gone up significantly over the past decade or three.

Oh, and yes, the pirate CTG is good fun, but I still have my personal hang-up that if I can't paint it myself, then there's something missing... Big Grin

- Ming the Merciless

I tried pushing to do the same thing with Quad-S but Jim had the same problem of costs. That would have been 13-14 yrs ago. After getting my hands on a few and fiddling with them, I realized how weak those models can really be. However, not long ago, someone used the same thin styrene and layered them to build up a model which he then painted. Looked nice, but resin and pewter can survive better.
Stogie

I did love this game (I confess I had four card boxes full of ships) and it went over very well with my gaming group at the time, but alas like all CCG's it then became must have ultra rare ships to win. I really did like the game I just don't like toe collectable part of it...

Indeed, gang, the whole collectible card game approach has like anything its own inherent limitations. One of the things we're really keen to avoid is the sort of deliberate feature creep that forces consumers to keep buying new models just to stay competitive in what should be a reasonably balanced and challenging game. This is one reason we're tapping away at the existing Design System, and planning to revise the Core Ships to conform with that design system. This will empower players to bang together refits that make we're hoping a good deal more sense, and their own home brew designs using their favorite minis or mad creations that are at least on paper more or less playing against the official designs on a level playing field.

- Ming the Merciless