Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyperdrive & EMP

Some of the ships are equipped with a markable Hyperdrive system. I have found one instance where it is said, that the hyperdrive follows the campaign rules. Since I have struggled to find these, I didn't find any hyperdrive rules too. ?

My question regarding the hyperdrive thus is: How does it work, what does it do and how much does it cost point/slot-wise?

Speaking of ship building, I can't find the build costs for EMP beams/rays either. I would have expected to find them in the ASP sourcebook but either I stubbornly flipped past it or this assumption was wrong. A full text PDF search didn't yield any results either.

Does anyone know where to find this info?

(02-14-2019, 08:31 AM)Orange Lantern Wrote: Some of the ships are equipped with a markable Hyperdrive system. I have found one instance where it is said, that the hyperdrive follows the campaign rules. Since I have struggled to find these, I didn't find any hyperdrive rules too. ?

My question regarding the hyperdrive thus is: How does it work, what does it do and how much does it cost point/slot-wise?

Speaking of ship building, I can't find the build costs for EMP beams/rays either. I would have expected to find them in the ASP sourcebook but either I stubbornly flipped past it or this assumption was wrong. A full text PDF search didn't yield any results either.

Does anyone know where to find this info?

As for the Campaign Rules, check the downloads section of this site.

EMP tech is in the Sunrunners book, and duplicated in Nightwatch.
Stogie

(02-15-2019, 12:19 AM)Stogie Wrote: EMP tech is in the Sunrunners book, and duplicated in Nightwatch.

They‘re mentioned and explained there, yes, but the build costs are not in there. That’s what I‘m looking for.

(02-14-2019, 10:03 PM)Helmut! Wrote: As for the Campaign Rules, check the downloads section of this site.

Wow. That‘s … comprehensive. Thanks for the tip.
Still, it does not contain the hyperdrive rules I was looking for.

Whelp, seems to be lost to time. I‘ll just houserule something.

(02-15-2019, 03:34 AM)Orange Lantern Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 12:19 AM)Stogie Wrote: EMP tech is in the Sunrunners book, and duplicated in Nightwatch.

They‘re mentioned and explained there, yes, but the build costs are not in there. That’s what I‘m looking for.

(1) The Hyperdrive hit box was added very late during ICE's final existence as we were planning on moving the Campaign System forward, *and* working on coming up with some final and solid rules and design costs for hyperdrives. The rule of thumb applied by the former series editor we dealt with at the time (we're taking circa 1998-99) was that a hyperdrive costs 5 slots (but 0 BPV), and was the weakest/slowest version as far as speed was concerned. It took some convincing by Sheldon and I to get said then series editor to agree that gunboats and some of the larger (1,000 ton) heavy fighters could manage a larger version (but still not up to Warhound standards). This is one of those nifty loose ends we inherited, and one which we will be tying down in the new Core Rulebook edition.

(2) Sunrunners was published immediately after the Core Rulebook, but the problem was that the ships were apparently created like the ones in Espan Rebellion and the first two dozen ships (Core Ships, plus original TPACs and MPACs); arbitrarily. The published Ship Design System was not engaged in their creation, the designer(s) preferring to follow The Rule of Cool as it were.  Rolleyes

Obviously, this created a bit of a mess (which we now get to work on cleaning up).  Dodgy
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

(02-15-2019, 06:22 AM)Karelian Suomi Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 03:34 AM)Orange Lantern Wrote:

(1) The Hyperdrive hit box was added very late during ICE's final existence as we were planning on moving the Campaign System forward, *and* working on coming up with some final and solid rules and design costs for hyperdrives. The rule of thumb applied by the former series editor we dealt with at the time (we're taking circa 1998-99) was that a hyperdrive costs 5 slots (but 0 BPV), and was the weakest/slowest version as far as speed was concerned. It took some convincing by Sheldon and I to get said then series editor to agree that gunboats and some of the larger (1,000 ton) heavy fighters could manage a larger version (but still not up to Warhound standards). This is one of those nifty loose ends we inherited, and one which we will be tying down in the new Core Rulebook edition.

(2) Sunrunners was published immediately after the Core Rulebook, but the problem was that the ships were apparently created like the ones in Espan Rebellion and the first two dozen ships (Core Ships, plus original TPACs and MPACs); arbitrarily. The published Ship Design System was not engaged in their creation, the designer(s) preferring to follow The Rule of Cool as it were.  Rolleyes

Obviously, this created a bit of a mess (which we now get to work on cleaning up).  Dodgy

Wink  Thanks for the official statement. So that's a creative challenge then. I could think of worse. At least it's just incomplete and not totally broken.
"The Rule of Cool" is the best rule anyway. ;D

I would estimate the EMP ray's worth at roundabout 5/2. Rather expensive, but not too bad in terms of size and energy requirements.

I used hyperdrive for campaign maps. A ship's drive/4 round up = the hex movement on a campaign map.

Beta Fortress can plod along a 2 hexes.

Drive
1-4 = 1 hex
5-8 = 2 hexes
9-12 = 3 hexes
13-16 = 4 hexes
17+ = 5 hexes

This meant the bugs in my campaign were really mobile.

Sunrunners bottom half of page 47:

EMP Ray Cost 3, Slots 1
EMP Beam Cost 5, Slots 4
Stogie

(02-18-2019, 01:53 AM)Stogie Wrote: Sunrunners bottom half of page 47:

EMP Ray Cost 3, Slots 1
EMP Beam Cost 5, Slots 4

Oh, wow. Scrolled right past that. Thanks! ^^

(02-15-2019, 01:35 PM)Smurf Wrote: I used hyperdrive for campaign maps.  A ship's drive/4 round up = the hex movement on a campaign map.

Beta Fortress can plod along a 2 hexes.  

Drive
1-4 = 1 hex
5-8 = 2 hexes
9-12 = 3 hexes
13-16 = 4 hexes
17+ = 5 hexes

This meant the bugs in my campaign were really mobile.

Interesting, thx for sharing. Although I would like to see a tactical use on the battlefield for hyperdrive. Need some more time to think about this.

(02-19-2019, 10:13 AM)Orange Lantern Wrote: Interesting, thx for sharing. Although I would like to see a tactical use on the battlefield for hyperdrive. Need some more time to think about this.

Hatchlings have the Jump Pods which are just this - disposable hyperdrive modules for use in tactical combat situations. Wink