Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House Faction and Paint Scheme?

Is there a guide to House colours to help paint various ships?

(08-18-2019, 01:40 PM)Smurf Wrote: Is there a guide to House colours to help paint various ships?

Yes/No. The main idea is that people are free to pain their ships however they please. But that was not always the case. The two first edition supplements about the Ptolemean War had color schemes for the varrious factions that participated in it. Aside from them, you only have the full color pictures on the covers of the other books to go by.  This is just the Overkill  ones. Plus there was the schemes in the video game. But those were pretty general. 

"I drew these tides of men into my hands and wrote my will across the sky in stars. "
                               -Thomas Edward Lawrence, PreImp 9719.

I have been stripping minis for a few days now.

It got me thinking, sometimes it is nice to have some 'House' colours. It makes it easier, but nothing to enforce.

Colos: Red
Red Star: Sandy
Tokugawa: Night Grey
Yoko-Shan: Brown and Yello
Kashmere: Blue and White
Hibernia: Green and Orange
ASP: Silver Gold
Data Sphere: Silver
Siguard: Blue and Red
Unkulunkulu: Orange
Q'raj; Green
Luches: Rusty or Gold
Primates/Devon: Personalised
Draconian: Red Yellow Black

Semi cliched colours but I think it would look nice.

I had the same idea. Except, vastly different colors. More along the lines of accented colors with a standardized scheme for everything.  So, the red in this example would be swapped for blue or green or whatever.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"I drew these tides of men into my hands and wrote my will across the sky in stars. "
                               -Thomas Edward Lawrence, PreImp 9719.

(08-18-2019, 01:40 PM)Smurf Wrote: Is there a guide to House colours to help paint various ships?

That is very much one of my fave bucket list projects for Silent Death, actually. For my part I paint my House fleets to common themes stolen from historical sources, but with insignia and such appropriate to the House the ships belong to. I tempered the selections based upon the general character of each House as described in the assorted background texts as well, plus consideration being given to the environments in which the ships would be operating in. So for example, my Sigurd ships are all overall bright silver with tactical sections differentiated by the colors painted on the fins and stabilizers, and individual ship numbers and squadron badges in black. This is to reflect the pseudo-Viking warrior culture of the Sigurds, who actually want their enemies to know who they are (and therefore, how thoroughly dead the Sigurds are going to make them).

My Colosian forces are split in style between those based upon various WW2 German Luftwaffe schemes, and colorful looks reminiscent of WW1 Imperial German Air Service fighter aircraft ala Von Richtofen's Flying Circus. This shows the degree of differences of opinion between various Houses Minor command structures as to what is best for morale, etc. Some like Armagnac have an attitude that would be right at home in Napoleon Bonaparte's Grand Armee cavalry corps, seeing themselves as knights of the stars, and their steeds are Sharks and Night Hawks painted in heraldic designs like a medieval knight's warhorse barding.

The ASP Technocracy tends towards either shiny silver overall, or bright colors in blocks such as a red fuselage and yellow wings, or a mix of natural metal and bright colors. This reflects the ASPer disdain for their "inferior" unmodified Human rivals (aka, "skinbags"). The Warworlders in contrast are all unsentimental professionals, with their ships finished in suitable colors or even disruptive camouflage patterns appropriate for their area of deployment. 

House Tokugawa has a schizophrenic approach, ranging from overall natural metal with color tail or fin flashing, and insignia of various regulation standards dating in some cases back to the Imperial Civil War, to a blotchy camouflage pattern painted over the natural metal finish when there's not enough paint to go around, or overall dark green or light grey when there is. The Tokugawan Customs Enforcement Agency is quite strict and consistent, their ships being overall medium green with the distinctive white and blue sunwheel badge of Tokugawan law enforcement agencies being displayed prominently on the upper surfaces of the ship for easy identification by honest citizens and lawbreakers alike. 

So really, it is a case of whatever catches your fancy. The old 1st ed. Silent Death graphics found in the Black Guard and Overkill supplements are a great source of ideas, as they show off the seemingly infinite variety of designs, camouflage, and insignia found across Terran Space. There are also plenty of online resources to reference, and I've been accumulating a good many such graphics on my Pinterest board Warcolors:

https://www.pinterest.com/blackwidowpilot/warcolors/
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

I was thinking there are the 40k paint schemes and yes due to printing costs black white was used in old house books. I just thought a House colour scheme as a guide as as opposed to this is how you must paint them.

Possibly for selling a product and giving the gamer a guide might be nice. And there are those like me who just want to paint it how I want to paint it. But if I wanted to demo a game then having a nice scheme for the various factions would look presentable.

(08-22-2019, 01:32 PM)Smurf Wrote: I was thinking there are the 40k paint schemes and yes due to printing costs black white was used in old house books.  I just thought a House colour scheme as a guide as as opposed to this is how you must paint them.

Possibly for selling a product and giving the gamer a guide might be nice.  And there are those like me who just want to paint it how I want to paint it.  But if I wanted to demo a game then having a nice scheme for the various factions would look presentable.

We're very much on the same page here. It's just been a matter of a lack of funds to afford to hire the talent necessary to produce the graphics to fit our creative visions.  Sad
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

(08-22-2019, 09:45 PM)Karelian Suomi Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 01:32 PM)Smurf Wrote: I was thinking there are the 40k paint schemes and yes due to printing costs black white was used in old house books.  I just thought a House colour scheme as a guide as as opposed to this is how you must paint them.

Possibly for selling a product and giving the gamer a guide might be nice.  And there are those like me who just want to paint it how I want to paint it.  But if I wanted to demo a game then having a nice scheme for the various factions would look presentable.

We're very much on the same page here. It's just been a matter of a lack of funds to afford to hire the talent necessary to produce the graphics to fit our creative visions.  Sad

I'm going to be blunt.  I know a guy, early 20s, who loves coding and stuff.  If he was to redo the designer (I have an idea for amending the ship sheets to be a bit more streamlined and playable).  Would it be fair to give him a cut on purchases of said designer.  Ship sheets, with house designs could incorporate colour?

(08-22-2019, 10:34 PM)Smurf Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 09:45 PM)Karelian Suomi Wrote:

I'm going to be blunt.  I know a guy, early 20s, who loves coding and stuff.  If he was to redo the designer (I have an idea for amending the ship sheets to be a bit more streamlined and playable).  Would it be fair to give him a cut on purchases of said designer.  Ship sheets, with house designs could incorporate colour?

Perhaps. I will need to consult my perners in crime... Cool

- Ming the Merciless