Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hows Silent Death doing?

I was looking through restoration games website and thought to myself whatever happened to one of my favorite games silent death. I know the pdfs for next millennium are available but before I consider that, is there any plans for an updated ruleset? IMO this game would be a prime candidate for a Kickstarter reprint

so is there good news on the future or wishful thinking?

I would say slowly. I also think there could be a call to set up a committee similar to Blood Bowl Committee that was the care taker for GW's hiatus from the product for nigh 20 years.

Well, its basically on life-support. With ICE folding for the 100th time, and its transfer over to Metal Express, its gotten far more obscure. A Kickstarter might revitalize it. But then again, it might not. Silent Death didn't have much of a presence when ICE had it, nor does it really have one now. Now, that's not to say its dead. Judging from the news section, there is hope on the horizon. But its very, very, very far away. It would be cool to see it back in stores, but its not there yet. Especially with a older rule set that still has kinks in it. Maybe a full-blown 3rd Edition would be a good start for a re-entry to the marketplace? As far as I know, the only major progress that has happened is a re-take of the Night Brood. Maybe that could help herald the rest of the game into 2.5 Ed or even straight to 3rd?
"I drew these tides of men into my hands and wrote my will across the sky in stars. "
                               -Thomas Edward Lawrence, PreImp 9719.

well I started this inquiry over on BGG, some kind people pointed me this direction.

IMO a 3rd edition is the way to go.  even if the rules don't change much.  I honestly think most of rules hold up really well.  look at battlestations second edition.  the rules changed in minor ways, but most were the same.  they came out with a boxed set, new larger miniatures and new tiles and boom it was a hit.

I think silent death could do the same thing.  a few minor edits to the core system (I honestly haven't played in so long I couldn't begin to imagine what those would be) new miniatures would be a must.  the old ones just don't hold up to todays standards. maybe some variety in the core set (humans vs brood?)  sell boosters with new ships and factions.  even people who have never heard of silent death will be drawn in, due to the simplicity and flexibility of the system.

Bear with me, gang... my Significantly Better Half and I are right in the middle of a forced move out of state... will respond to you all this evening with news we think you'll like (I for one know we do, anyway...)...

Stay tuned...
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

Now that I've finished deleting the latest Russia-based spambot attack and splattergunning the culprit, to address your question, the patient as it were is on life support, but is responsive and the prognosis remains optimistic.

To put it another way, we are still committed to seeing a revised Night Brood book become a reality, along with a 3rd edition of the Core Rulebook, *and* moving forward from there, expand further into the Terran Space universe.

We're not done yet, and in fact, but perhaps we are at last seeing the end of the beginning...
"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here..."

- Ming the Merciless

(09-18-2019, 07:08 AM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: Now that I've finished deleting the latest Russia-based spambot attack and splattergunning the culprit, to address your question, the patient as it were is on life support, but is responsive and the prognosis remains optimistic.

To put it another way, we are still committed to seeing a revised Night Brood book become a reality, along with a 3rd edition of the Core Rulebook, *and* moving forward from there, expand further into the Terran Space universe.

We're not done yet, and in fact, but perhaps we are at last seeing the end of the beginning...

Will you be giving us die hards a heads up, to proof read, and generally add are 2p worth to the product?

(09-18-2019, 07:27 PM)Smurf Wrote: Will you be giving us die hards a heads up, to proof read, and generally add are 2p worth to the product?

Count on it. Cool

- Ming the Merciless

(09-18-2019, 07:08 AM)Karelian Suomi Wrote: To put it another way, we are still committed to seeing a revised Night Brood book become a reality, along with a 3rd edition of the Core Rulebook, *and* moving forward from there, expand further into the Terran Space universe. 

ok a couple things bug me about this but I don't want to sound negative so I will start with the positive.  im excited for a 3rd edition, and will definitely buy it as soon as its available.  I got into silent death shortly after the night brood expansion became available so im also very excited about that.

ive already stated I don't remember the rules well enough to know what I would change, but I almost feel like the 3rd edition rules should come before the night brood.  what if some tweaks to the main rules cause the night brood to need to be rebalanced?

I also didn't hear Kickstarter mentioned.  kickstarter is great for smaller companies, it allows them to get funding and gauge interest with little risk.  look at slugfest games for an example.  they use to release 1 new RDI set every couple years and they would go out of stock frequently with long delays between restocks and new releases.  after kickstarter they became a powerhouse producing new products frequently and I haven't seen them out of stock in quite a few years.

I am far from an expert but I do have some knowledge in economics and 30ish years as a consumer of board and other games.  with that in mind here is some advice I would give.

finish up night brood and 3rd edition core.  I would not try to make everything backward compatible.  if something needs to go, send it on its way.  get some new miniatures ready.  maybe 4 brood 4 human sculps.  take this all and get a core set on kickstarter.  this set needs to be a rebranding of the game with a 3rd edition.  the rebranding is key.  even if the game barely funds or even doesn't fund, you will get the name out to more people.  a majority of gamers out there have never heard of silent death, that needs to change.  there is a demand for a simple, fast space combat game but no one knows this exists.  kickstarter (even a failed attempt) is great advertising.

I could go on but wow its 4am already and this post is way long as it is.  I hope it doesn't sound like im being critical because im not meaning to be I just love this game and want to see it do well.